Saturday, February 18, 2006

Hubbli-Bubbli Mayham

Let me introduce those of you not familiar with Arab culture to the Hubbli-Bubbli, also known as, the Hooka, or Argiila. It is basically a water bong where you smoke fruit flavored tobacco. It is all the rage over the Middle East. Normally you can go into any "shbaab" hangout, "shbaab" means young persons, and you will see tables of 16 to 20 somethings around the tables drinking tea or coffee each one with his or her own argiila pipe.

The smell is actually quite pleasant. It is very similar to walking into a very hazy fruit orchard. Usually all of this happens in outdoor coffee shops, but do to the weather all the windows are shut and everyone is indoors, hence a huge haze. But at least when you breath death in it smells very nice.

Anyway the story...

A buddy and I went to hang out. Usually on Thursday and Friday nights are packed and it’s a good time to meet new people or old acquaintances. We ate, drank fruit cocktails and mingled. I DIDN'T SMOKE THE ARGIILA! That was for you Mom. Anyways, I get home and smell like a fruit orchard and go to bed. This morning I wake up and everything in my lungs and sinuses had solidified. I felt like I had a rock for a head. (keep your snide comments to yourself!) I couldn't sleep anymore. I had to get up and find some medicine and then wash out my hair and drink hot liquids, so Bethany is in school learning more Arabic and I am sitting on the couch draining my sinuses from the second hand fruit intake from last night.

I don't have a clue what I am going to do. I guess no more Hooka Bars for me till it warms up.

No comments: